Spencer Main Street is partnering with the Christmas at the Square festival to bring you an opportunity to be creative and win prizes. Participate in the Merry Meter contest or Window Decorating contest.
MERRY METER CONTEST
It’s time for the 3rd annual Merry Meter Contest. Your crafty participation is appreciated! Help us dress up downtown parking meters with some festive flair for the month of December. Entry fee of $20 per meter (plus $20 if the meter head is covered). People’s Choice voting on Dec 2. Cash prizes for top winners.
Who Can Enter?
Businesses, individuals, groups or organizations may decorate a meter. Not feeling creative, but want to join in? We are looking for sponsors to partner with willing contestants. Your sponsorship can help our local youth and non-profit organizations get creative!
What are the Prizes?
Prizes are awarded to the top 3 Merry Meters, plus a People’s Choice prize winner.
- 1st place $150
- 2nd place $100
- 3rd place $50
- People’s Choice – a gift basket
Winners will be announced and prizes given on Monday, December 4, 2017. Those covers completed before Saturday, December 2nd will be eligible for the People’s Choice Vote with a local shopping package prize. The public vote will be held on Saturday, December 2 at the Christmas at the Square festival. Votes will be 25 cents per vote and you can vote as many times as you desire. Visit the outdoor information booth on the courthouse lawn for voting ballets.
How to Enter
Complete the 2017 Merry Meter Contest Application. Submit your completed Registration Form(s) to Chairperson Bonnie Emerson at (765) 712-0135 or Danielle Conner at (812) 585-7708. Applications are available at the OC Chambers of Commerce office. Registration Fee is $20 per entry, plus $20 if the meter head is covered (this $5 per week cost is paid to the Town of Spencer for lost revenue of the parking meter). Cash or check accepted. Checks should be made payable to Spencer Main Street, Inc.
Upon the collection of your application and registration fee you will be assigned a meter # to decorate.
Merry Meter Details
- Meter cover designs should be of a festive, winter holiday theme. Please use the “Project Description” on the Registration form, below, to submit your project for pre-approval & meter assignment.
- Dimensions of no more than 30″ across (15″ out from center pole of meter) & 12″ above top of meter.
- Materials should be made of a medium that is weather tolerant, easily removed from meter fixture at the end of the contest with no sharp points or edges that could pose a danger to the public.
- Contestants are responsible for their personal designs. This includes placement, maintenance, removal, etc.
- Eligible entries may be featured by Spencer Main Street, Inc. on any media platform and/or for future promotional purposes.
Dates to Note
Install your covers starting November 15. A Spencer Main Street representative needs to be on hand to confirm installation location before you begin. This contest is in partnership with the Christmas at the Square festival so all meter covers should be completely installed by December 2. All covers must be removed by Friday, December 29, 2017. Any remaining designs will be disposed of.
WINDOW DECORATING CONTEST
Spencer Main Street encourages everyone to decorate their windows for the 2nd annual Window Decorating Contest. The window decorating contest is a fun way to celebrate the holiday season, create festive and beautiful businesses and residences in Spencer, attract visitors, and showcase your business or home.
Who Can Enter?
Businesses, individuals, groups or organizations may decorate business windows, as well as residential windows, in the town of Spencer. Unable to decorate your window? Let us partner a willing contestant with your available window.
What are the Prize Categories?
- Most Festive – Prize $50
- Best Use of Merchandise – Prize $50
- People’s Choice – Prize $50
How to Enter?
It’s easy to enter. It’s free to enter! Complete the registration below and start dusting off those holiday decorations. Registration deadline is Friday November 17. Window must be decorated by Saturday December 2 to be entered into the People’s Choice category.
SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY AND DOWNTOWN WALKING TOUR
No need to pack your bags to use our Downtown Walking Tour Passport. Spencer Main Street is promoting Small Business Saturday on December 2 with downtown retail shopping and open houses. Register your business to be included on the Walking Tour Passport.
Who Can Register?
Businesses with in the 9 block region of the courthouse will be featured in the passport. We also welcome any business within the town of Spencer to register to be listed in our business directory.
How to Enter?
It’s easy to enter. It’s free to enter! Complete the registration below. Please include your destination stop as retail or open house and the hours you will be open. Guests of the Christmas at the Square festival will be given the passport booklets which includes an area to “stamp your passport.” As guests visit your business simply initial the passport area for your business. Guests can then return the completed passport to the festival to enter for the gift basket prize drawing.
Small Business Saturday
Spencer Main Street is a proud supporter of the Shop Local movement. We would like to encourage December 2 to be a Small Business Saturday. Here are some marketing ideas for SBS.
- Plan early and build buzz. Spencer Main Street will be promoting the walking tour but feel free to create your own buzz about your shops partnership with SBS
- Make it worthwhile with a special offer only available on SBS
- Share the day on social media. Use free advertising by posting to facebook, send of some tweets, or start a #SmallBizSaturdaySpencer
- Think ahead. The Christmas at the Square festival will be the first December is Saturday each year, so let’s make SBS an annual event. Save posters and resources so you won’t have to put time and money into creating them again.
- Capture the Day. Take photos while the store in bustling. Being able to show the action and excitement of your shop will give you some great tools for promoting future events!
- Connect with your customers. Ask customers at check out for their email so they can be contacted about upcoming announcements and sales.